On Wednesday 1st July 2020 Kairos Palestine issued a call for solidarity entitled Cry for Hope: A Call for Decisive Action. The launch of the ‘Cry for Hope’ was chosen to coincide with the beginning of the annexation process where, in the words of Prime Minister Netanyahu, the government of Israel would ‘apply sovereignty’ to the Jordan Valley and the Israeli Settlements in the illegally Occupied West Bank. This would destroy any prospect of a viable Palestinian state and create a disconnected patchwork of ‘Bantustan’ style reserves for Palestinians, similar to the model in Apartheid South Africa. In fact, annexation has been delayed but not abandoned because of a wave of protest from political representatives, trade unionists and church people around the world and because of disagreement in Israel and the USA about timing. But the threat remains.
Globally over three hundred church leaders, politicians and people in civic society, have endorsed the Cry for Hope (see here for full list of signatories). In Ireland the list of those who have endorsed the document are:
Mr. Geoffrey Corry Kairos Ireland, Dean Maria Jansson Dean of Waterford, Sean Crowe TD Sinn Féin spokesperson on Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Gillian Kingston Vice President World Methodist Council, former Lay Leader of the Methodist Church in Ireland, Mrs. Máiread Corrigan Maguire Honorary President and Co-founder of ‘the peace people’, Nobel Peace Laureate, Mr. Eamon McMahon Secretary, Irish Trade Union Friends of Palestine, Rev. Dr. Johnston McMaster The Junction Ethical and Shared Remembering, Senator David Norris Senator, the Oireachtas, Dublin, Mr. Joe O’Brien TD Green Party, the Oireachtas, Dublin, Rev Dr. John Parkin Chair Kairos Ireland, Minister Methodist Church in Ireland, Rev Dr. Bill Shaw Global Peace Foundation, Belfast, Mrs. Barbara Walsh, Bishop Trevor Williams Church of Ireland.
We are invited by Kairos Palestine to participate in the movement for a just and peaceful solution to the crisis in Palestine in the following words, ‘“Cry for Hope’’ joins with movements of oppressed peoples around the world in taking a stand against the politics and economics of Empire, a global order of domination manifesting in racial, economic, cultural, and environmental oppression that threatens humanity and all of creation. It calls on churches, ecumenical organizations, concerned advocates from other faith traditions, and partners from all sectors of civil society to undertake these seven actions:
- Initiate processes at local, denominational and ecumenical levels that lead to decisive action regarding the denial of Palestinian rights.
- Confront theologies and understandings of the Bible that justify the oppression of the Palestinian people.
- Support Palestinian resistance, including Boycott Divestment and Sanctions and direct political advocacy.
- Demand that governments and world bodies employ political, diplomatic and economic means to stop Israel’s violations of human rights and international law.
- Oppose equating criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism.
- Support initiatives between Israelis and Palestinians and interfaith partnerships that oppose apartheid and create opportunities to work together for justice and equality.
- Come and see the reality in the Holy Land to stand in solidarity with grassroots initiatives for a just peace.
Please read ‘Cry for Hope: a call to decisive action’ and to add your name to the list of supporters by going to www.cryforhope.org. It is hoped that at least 10,000 people will sign the call.
Kairos Palestine invite you to – Join our Facebook community https://www.facebook.com/globalkairosforjusticecoalition/to share how you are responding to “Cry for Hope.”
We in Kairos Ireland would also like to hear from you if you plan any actions in line with the Cry for Hope call for decisive action.